Jamal Mohamed has been a featured artist in many international music events having performed with Sting, Mark O’Connor, Giovanni Hidalgo and many other well known artists. He has presented percussion workshops at venues worldwide, including Berklee College of Music in Boston; the National Institute of Fine Arts in Mexico City; the Tokyo School of Music in Tokyo, Japan; the American University in Cairo, Egypt; the Center for World Music in Bali, Indonesia; and the University of Hong Kong, to name a few.
A native of Lebanon, Jamal grew up in the Chicago area, where he was exposed to rich blues and jazz traditions as well as the Middle Eastern music he heard at home. Known for his virtuosity on the doumbek, Jamal has incorporated many innovative jazz and Latin styles with this ancient instrument. He is acknowledged as a master craftsman and builds many of his own instruments. In 2010 Toca Percussion introduced the “Jamal Doumbek,” a signature drum he designed with Toca. In 2018 Toca introduced 5 new “Jamal” signature drums including riq (Arabic tambourine) and mazhars (Arabic frame drums).
Jamal was one of the founding members of the percussion group Ddrum, the 2010 winner of Drum magazine’s award for best percussion group. The group has been featured in two documentaries, one an Emmy award winning PBS short film that documents their travels and observations as related to World Percussion and the other, “Gamelan DDrum”, directed by John Bryant, about the group’s collaboration with composer and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame drummer Stewart Copeland of the “Police”, and the Dallas Symphony.
Jamal is currently on the faculty at the “Meadows School of the Arts, Southern Methodist University” where he teaches percussion, and directs the “Meadows World Music Ensemble” He is also the founder and director of SMU in Bali”, a study abroad program that explores the arts and culture of Indonesia. He is also active as a performer currently with World Music group, “Mandala” and the improvisational group “Drum and Wind.”
Jamal Mohamed plays and endorses:
Pro-Mark drum sticks
Cooperman Frame Drums
Selected Highlight Events
- December 2017 – 2 week residency in Marrakesh Morocco with Gnawa musicians.
- September 2017 – Featured percussionist in new CD, “A Timeless Journey” Renaissance ensemble Cantiga
- July 2017 – Java, Indonesia. Presented Percussion Workshop and Performance at Taman Mini, one of Jakarta’ premier venues. The performance was a collaboration with 15 musicians from across Indonesia
- October 2016 – Featured artist with Jose Bowen for concerts at Goucher College
- October 2016 – Meadows World Music Ensemble performance at Dallas Museum of Art
- September 2016 – Return engagement at the Formula One Grand Prix in Singapore
- July 2016 – Concert tour in New Mexico with singer Mirabai Moon
- January-May 2016 – Research leave from SMU to study traditional music of Indonesia in Bali, Java, Lombok and other islands of Indonesia
- December 2015 – Featured guest artist in several concerts with Orpheus Chamber Singers
- November 2015 – Presented master class and concert at PASIC Percussive Arts Society International Convention in Indianapolis
- October 2015 – Artist in residence. Workshops and concerts at Goucher College
- September 2015 – Performed at the Formula One Grand Prix in Singapore
- August, 2014 – Performed at the Sumatra Jazz Festival in Sumatra, Indonesia
- July, 2012 – Performed in Java, Indonesia with Meadows students at Kretakencana World Music Festival
- May 2012 — Composed original music for the documentary film “Waging Peace” which chronicles the experiences of peace corps volunteers around the world.
- July, 2011 Tour of India performing in Bangalore, Cochin, Kerala and Chennai with Mysore Brothers and Poovalur Sriji
- June, 2011 – Featured performer in Jakarta, Indonesia at Garin Nugroho Opening Exhibition
- May, 2011 – Featured performer in Taipai, Taiwan at 2011 World Press Photo Exhibition
- February 2011 — Featured performer for World Premier of Stewart Copeland’s “Gamelan DDrum” with the Dallas Symphony Orchestra.
- November 2010 — Presented clinic on Middle Eastern Drumming at Percussive Arts Society International Convention (PASIC) Indianapolis, Indiana.
- June 2010 — Presented workshop on Middle Eastern Drumming at Tokyo School of Music Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan
- May 2010 — Established SMU in Bali with Center for World Music. Directed classes in music with master musicians from India, Java, Bali and Sumatra in Bali, Indonesia.
- January 2010 — Introduced the “Jamal doumbek” a signature drum designed for Toca percussion and manufactured in Bali, Indonesia.
- June 2009 — Created instructional videos for Toca percussion website http://www.tocapercussion.com
- January 2009 — Presented percussion demonstrations at NAMM (National Association of Music Merchandisers) in Los Angeles, Ca.
- October 2007 — Presented workshop “Ethnic percussion for Modern Dance” at the International Guild of Musicians in Dance conference. University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois.
- August 2007 — Presented percussion workshops at the National Conference of Keyboard Pedagogy, “Teaching and Playing Outside the Box.” Chicago, Illinois
- November 2006 — Presented a percussion Master Class and evening concert with DDrum for the Percussive Arts Society International Convention. Austin, Texas.
- October 2004 — Featured performer: Global Rhythms. Maimi University
- July 2004 — Featured performer: Bandung World Music Festival. Java, Indonesia
- March 2004 — Presented workshop on Middle Eastern drumming at Mayaguez puerto Rico
- December 2003— Presented workshop on Middle Eastern drumming at San Diego State University.
- July 2003 — Featured performer at Payangan World Music Festival in Bali, Indonesia. Instructor at Center for World Music summer workshop in Bali.
- February 2003 — Featured performer at Hong Kong Convention Center with DDrum and performers from Beijing Opera for production of Magic Flute directed by Vicki Ooi Presented workshop on Middle Eastern Drumming at Hong Kong University.
- July 2002 — Featured performer at Payangan World Music Festival in Bali, Indonesia. Instructor at Center for World Music summer workshop in Bali and performances in Java.
- June 2001 — Featured performer and clinician at Berklee World Percussion Festival. Berklee College of Music, Boston, Massachusetts.
- November 2000 — Featured performer and clinician at Percussive Arts Society International Convention (PASIC), Dallas, Texas.
- July 2000 — Featured performer with Sting and opening band Simon Shaheen and Al’Qantara, Jones Beach, New York.
- 1999 — Featured performer at the Yukon International Storytelling Festival, Whitehorse, Yukon. Canada.
- 1999 — Featured performer at the 21st Annual Thyagaraja Indian Music Festival, Toronto, Canada.
- 1998 — Featured performer and instructor at the International Guild of Musicians in Dance, Stockholm, Sweden.
- 1998 — Featured performer at the Lotus World Music Festival, Bloomington, Indiana.
- 1997 — Featured soloist with the SMU Percussion Ensemble at the Percussive Arts Society Convention, Anaheim, California.
- 1996 — Featured performer with Omaha Magic Theater at the 1996 Suwon Castle International Theater Festival, Suwon, South Korea.
- 1996 — Featured performer and instructor at the Sixteenth Annual International Festival of Contemporary Dance, San Luis Potosi, Mexico.
- 1996 — Featured performer at the Cal Arts Music Festival, California Institute of the Arts Valencia, California.
- 1995 — Featured performer at the Forty-Ninth Annual Midwest International Band and Orchestra Clinic, Chicago, Illinois.
- 1994 — Featured performer and Artist in Residence at the Zeltspiele Music Festival, Freiburg, Germany.
- 1993 — Composer and music director — theater production: Circus Beckett,American University, Cairo, Egypt.
- 1991 — Composer and performer — Arabian Fantasy: multi-media stage show; San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- 1989 — Composed and recorded original music for nationally broadcast TV documentary: Ramses the Great.
Selected Performance and Teaching Experience
- 1983 – Present: Percussion Instructor and Accompanist — Southern Methodist University, Meadows School of the Arts, Dallas, Texas.
- 1990 – Present: Young Audiences — Percussion workshops and performances in schools, Juvenile Detention Centers, Half-Way Houses, etc.
- 1986 – Present: Arts for People — Music therapy sessions at psychiatric facilities.
- 2003: Master Class — Hong Kong University, Hong Kong, China
- 2002: Master Class/Residency — Center for World Music. Bali, Indonesia
- 2001: Master Class/Residency — Berklee World Percussion Festival. Berklee College of Music, Boston, Massachusetts
- 2000: Master Class — Percussive Arts Society International Convention (PASIC), Dallas, Texas.
- 1998: Master Class/Residency — International Guild of Musicians in Dance, Stockholm, Sweden.
- 1996: Master Class/Residency — National Institute for the Arts, Mexico City, Mexico.
- 1993: Master percussion class — University of North Texas, Denton, Texas.
- 1992: Master percussion class — Berklee College of Music, Boston, Massachusetts.
- 1992: Master percussion classes and three week residency — American University of Cairo, Egypt.
- 1991: Six-week residency — Stonewall Jackson Elementary School, Dallas, Texas; worked with hearing impaired students. Constructed and learned to play percussion instruments culminating in a performance at the Dallas Museum of Art.
- 1988 – 1990: Kennedy Center Imagination Celebration: Music Around the World. Children’s program demonstrating musical instruments from various cultures.
- 1980 – Present: Co-Founder, performer — “Beledi” Middle Eastern Jazz Ensemble; winner of 1989 Dallas Observed Award for Avant Garde, Experimental Music.
- 1984 – Present: Percussionist — Celtic Stone — Austin based Irish music ensemble
- 1988 – 1990: Co-Founder, performer — Flash to Bangtime; nominated 1990 Dallas Observer for Best New Act.
- 1990 – Present: Young Audiences — Percussion workshops and performances in Dallas public schools, Juvenile Detention Centers, Half-Way Houses, etc.
- 1989 – 1991: Percussionist — Cafe Noir; music performance ensemble; winner of 1989 and 1990 Dallas Observer Award for Best Jazz Group.
- 1982 – 1989: Music Director, composer — African Dance Company; El Centro College, Dallas, Texas.
Selected Recorded Works
- Cantiga, Martha’s Dragon — Cantiga Records, 2004
- D’Drum, Yoga Rhythms — Ellen Barrett’s, ProMotion Music, 2002
- Jim Suhler, Dirt Road — Top Cat Records, 2002
- Cantiga, The Otter’s Pool — Cantiga Records, 2001
- Archetribe, Earth Tones — Stretta Records, 2001
- Meadows Percussion Ensemble, Strike Gasparo — 2000
- D’Drum, Village Beside Time — Unicornucopia Records, 2000
- Jamal, Beledi — 1999
- Flipside, Artificial Joy — 1999
- Buddy Mohmed, American Bedouin — Blue Cedars Music, 1998
- RubberBullet, Open Last — Beat Records, 1996
- Between the Lines, Between the Lines — What Are Records, 1994
- Yogarobics Dance/Exercise Video — 1992
- Flash to Bangtime, One Minute One Night — Big Bang Records, 1990
- Mark O’Conner, Meanings Of — Warner Bros., 1986